South African Bobotie
For the Minced Meat Base:
- 1lb minced lamb
- 1lb minced beef
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp hot chutney (preferably Mrs. Ball's if you can source it)
- 2 slices white bread soaked in ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar
For the Topping:
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 2 medium eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Brown the Minced Meat
- Set the oven to heat at 350F.
- Tear up the bread and soak in milk.
- Heat oil in a pan and put on a medium heat.
- Saute the minced meat until brown.
Step 2: Add the Veggies and Aromatics
- Add the diced onions and let them sweat for a few minutes.
- Add the shredded carrots into the mix and let them cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and sautee until aromatic.
- Add the spices and incorporate fully into the mixture.
- Add the chutney, jam, lemon juice, and raisins.
- Add the milk-soaked bread, discarding any excess milk.
- Let everything cook few just another 3 minutes or so, just to make sure all the flavors have melded together.
Tip: Step 1-2 should take approximately 20 minutes.
Step 3: Transfer to Baking Dish, Add Custard Topping and Bake
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a bowl to make a custard.
- Pour the custard mixture on top of the mince.
- Top with bay leaves.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Cuisine Cape Malay
Recipe by Arousing Appetites: Home to the Serious Cook at https://blog.arousingappetites.com/bobotie-south-african-meatloaf-casserole/