Yield 4 people
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 lb minced pork
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- 2 sprigs parsley, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- Olive oil
- 6 red peppers
- 2 aubergines
- A bunch of flat leaf parsley
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 onion, chopped
Serving As a Sandwich
- 6 flatbreads, to serve
- Sour cream, to serve
- Pickled guindilla peppers, to serve (optional)
Stage 1 - Prepare the Ajvar
- To prepare the ajvar, start by preheating your oven broiler to its maximum heat and setting an oven rack as close to the top as possible
- Lay your eggplant and red bell peppers on either a grill pan or a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil
- Place your red pepper and eggplant into the broiler for 3-4 minutes, keeping a keen eye on how each vegetable (particularly the pepper) is blackening
- When one side has blackened, use tongs to flip your bell pepper and eggplant over to cook the other side
- After another 3-4 minutes - once you've confirmed everything is cooked and nicely blistered - turn off your broiler, take your roasted vegetables out of the oven, and let them rest.
Stage 2 - Mix Your Ćevapi Ingredients
- Combine your ground beef, ground pork, minced garlic, minced onions and minced parsley together in a mixing bowl
- Mush everything together, either with your hands or vigorously with a ladle, until the meat and aromatics are well combined
- Next, add in your smoked paprika, black pepper, cayenne and salt to the meat and mix around again
- Finally, add the baking soda, egg and sparkling water and mix into the ćevapi mixture
Step 3 - Mold and Grill the Ćevapi
- Start by preheating your grill pan over medium-high heat on your stovetop.
- Take a ball-sized piece of your ćevapi mixture in the palm of your hand.
- Mold your ćevapi with your fingers into the shape of finger-length sausages.
- Place each ćevapi onto the grill pan.
- Grill your ćevapi until the meat is browned and grill marks start to form (nearly 3-4 minutes each side)
- Once cooked, take your cooked ćevapi off the grill and let rest for 5 minutes
Step 4 - Finish Preparing Ajvar
- As your ćevapi rest, peel the skins off your blistered and cooked bell peppers and eggplants, then place them in a blender
- Add your chopped onions, lemon juice and parsley, and blend everything together until you have a smooth red paste. And you're done!
To serve, take a flatbread and stuff it with some ćevapi. Top it with ajvar, sour cream and maybe some pickled peppers, and enjoy!
Courses Main Course
Recipe by Arousing Appetites: Home to the Serious Cook at https://blog.arousingappetites.com/bosnian-cevapi-mini-grilled-meat-kebabs-ajvar-flatbread/