- 3-4 large russet potatoes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 5oog minced beef or lamb
- 1 bunch of scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp fine breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp white flour
- 2 beaten eggs
Step 1: Prep the Potatoes & Meat Stuffing
- Put the potatoes to soak in a bowl of hot water to soften them.
- Prepare the meat - mix together the ground meat with the finely chopped scallions, parsley, cilantro, garlic, ginger, all the dry spices, the chilies (if you like), egg, breadcrumbs and tomato paste.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Cut them into thick slices that you can cut again only ¾ of the way down, making a small pouch in the middle of the potato slice.
- Carefully, fill the potatoes with the meat stuffing.
Step 2: Dredge the Meat-Stuffed Potato Slices
- Mix together the remaining 4 tbsps of breadcrumbs and white flour to create the coating that you'll dredge your meat-stuffed potato slices in.
- Break 2 eggs into a bowl and beat them together.
- Dip the potato pockets into the beaten egg and then into the flour and breadcrumbs mixture, so they are well coated.
Step 3: Fry the Stuffed Potato Slices
- Heat oil to about 330ºF
- Deep-fry until golden (approx. 5 minutes)
- Remove from oil and leave to drain on paper towel.
- If you want to further soften up the potatoes, you can optionally place them on a baking sheet and into a warm oven (350 degrees) for 5-10 minutes.
Step 4: Serve
- Serve on a platter garnished with parsley or cilantro.
Recipe by Arousing Appetites: Home to the Serious Cook at https://blog.arousingappetites.com/mbattan-libyan-meat-stuffed-potatos/