Swedish Saint Lucia Buns
- 3½ cups flour
- 1½ tbsp dry active yeast
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon finely crumbled saffron threads or saffron powder
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg for the dough and 1 to glaze
Step 1: Make and Prep the Dough
- Melt the butter in a pan with the milk and stir in the saffron.
- Let the mixture boil, then take it off the heat and allow to cool to about body temperature, stir in the yeast, then the sugar and salt.
- Add half the flour into the mixture.
- Beat one egg and stir in.
- Keep adding the remaining flour until the dough is soft and just pulls away from the edges of the bowl.
- Cover and leave to rise in a greased bowl for 1 hour.
Step 2: Divide, Shape and Decorate Dough
- Knead the dough on a floured surface, divide into four, then again until you have 8 pieces of dough that fit nicely into your fist.
- Roll into a snake and shape into an S or any other form you think might be nice like a cross or an 8. A round bun is also good!
- Place all the buns on a baking sheet and cover again until they double in size, about another hour. Be sure to leave enough space between the buns for them to rise.
- Decorate with raisins and brush over with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 375ºF
Recipe by Arousing Appetites: Home to the Serious Cook at https://blog.arousingappetites.com/saint-lucia-buns-swedish-saffron/