Yield 16 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup cold butter
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup blanched almond halves
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
Step 1: Create the Cookie Dough
- Mix the dry ingredients together
- Knead in the butter with a pastry cutter or use a food processor. Make sure the butter is very cold and don't let it heat up too much while you're kneading it (or processing it).
- If you are not in a hurry, you can leave the dough in the fridge for a while or even overnight.
Step 2: Roll Out the Dough
- Preheat the oven to 340F.
- Roll the dough out quite thin, about ¼ of an inch - do you best to keep the dough an even thickness
Step 3: Toppings Time
- Place the rolled out cookie dough on a rectangular baking tray.
- Whisk an egg with a tablespoon of milk and brush it over the dough.
- Press almond halves into the dough.
- Cover with another layer of the egg and milk mixture
Step 4: Bake the Cookies
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool completely and then cut into square pieces.
Recipe by Arousing Appetites: Home to the Serious Cook at https://blog.arousingappetites.com/speculaas-spicy-seasonal-dutch-cookies/